Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Royal Icing...The good, the bad, and the ugly!

I have a love/hate relationship with Royal Icing.
It is essential in decorating cookies the way I do.
But my problem with Royal Icing is...

It is NEVER consistent!
I can make it one day and it's perfect!
Another day...
Runny.
Drippy.
Fluffy.
Thick.

Some days it's MY fault.
As I'm not THAT experienced with it.
But another factor is the weather.
If there is ANY humidity in the air...
Royal Icing has a mind of it's own!
As you can see with these cookies...
It just dripped...
And dripped...
And ran right off the edges of these cookies.
Oh my.
Thankfully they weren't for any special occasion.
I was just playing around.
Nate wanted some cookies for a bedtime snack, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to practice.
Bottom line...
It was NOT a good night for Royal Icing.
But...
Never fear...
I WILL CONQUER!

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling! Things got a little more consistent for me when I started weighing the powdered sugar (since the 1lb or 2lb on the package seems to be a guess-timate) but there is still a margin of error when it comes to the amount of water added to change the consistency. At least fall is coming soon and we will have a good 8-9 months to perfect (lol) our skills before the humidity starts again. Keep it up!!!!!
    <3 Stephanie

    ReplyDelete