Saturday, October 26, 2013

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Cake...

I did this cake for the 5th birthday of a little guy last week.

My son's are teenagers now, so it's been a long time since I've been around TMNTs.
I had to do some research and ask a lot of questions regarding colors, names, weapons of each turtle, LOL!  But it was a really fun cake to do.  

I created a frozen buttercream transfer for the turtle.  I don't know why, but FBT always scare me.  Maybe it stems from the first time I ever attempted one.  Years ago, I decided to try my first FBT.  I was making my husband's birthday cake and because he is a Detroit Lions fan, I decided to create a FBT of the logo for his cake.  Well, it LOOKED awesome...ON THE WAX PAPER.  However, when I went to peel it OFF the wax paper and place it on the cake, it became a crumbled mess.  After speaking with a friend and fellow baker, she explained that I made it way too thin.  That was the problem.  I have since learned just how thick they have to be (VERY).  Ever since I started creating them thicker (and adding a layer of plain icing over the back), I have had nothing but success with them!  Yay!  The reveal is always so much fun (and a little nerve-wracking).  But when you see your image come off that wax paper and come alive...it's such a neat feeling!

I did this cake in french vanilla cake and a classic butterceam icing.
I enjoy doing sheet cakes.  I know sculpted cakes and huge tiered cakes are all the rage right now.  But when I'm "eating" cake, there's nothing better than a great moist sheet cake with some good 'ol fashion homemade buttercream.  
Yum-O!
Happy birthday Corbin!
I hope you enjoyed your cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment